The Power in My Name


Hey you, what's your name?

Does a name define us, or is it just a label?

I used to respond to vague attempts,

Unaware dismissive recollection breeds contempt.


My name means stone, a hard, basic building material,

Yet from French, it's a natural beauty, noteworthy in power.

Each person unique, even those who share my name,

My middle name means "give thanks to God,"

Gratitude in my father's native tongue.


In all I do, I express thanks,

Some might say my parents gave me a head start.

My surname, "powerful and complete,"

Or "the crown befits its wearer."


I didn't understand who I was,

Until I broke down the definition.

Now comprehending its significance,

I can no longer accept anything less.


It's Chauntelle Modupe Adeyeye—you've been warned.

Anything else undercuts the power.

No longer can I cower, demanding and exclaiming it proud.

Say my name, exactly state my power.


Now that I know, people will ask my parents,

"With a name like that, what have you done?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here I am

I choose you

upward